Excerpts

Excerpts from Zach's letters:

Monday, November 25, 2013

It was awesome to hear from you!  I got the email from Cade. It sounds like he´s plugging away with everything and staying really busy. I loved the photos. He looks like a pro basketball player! Way to represent Cado-Potato!  Well Tyler, it's on!  [Zach's dad: This is Zach's response when Tyler mentioned that he is taller than Zach as well as four pounds heavier and that he plans on a big wrestling match when Zach gets home.]  You may be bigger than me and you may be taller than me; but I will always be your older "big" brother!  I´ll take you down and I´ll be talking trash in Spanish while I'm doing it.  I'll be playing "mind games" with you! ¡Te mostraré quien es el capo de los Gardanier!

This last week was crazy. Elder Arnett hurt his knee a while back and we had to go to Montevideo to do an MRI. We went on Saturday and were able to get it all figured out.  Elder Arnett is pretty young and is still learning Spanish so I was tested to the limit with my Spanish at the hospital, especially with all the medical and anatomy terms!  It was interesting, but it went smoothly. Talk about the gift of tongues! 

The work is going strong here in Maldonado!  I love it here and am having a blast!  Now that it is summer, there are a ton more people here.  People are coming from all over - it's pretty cool!  I´ve heard quite a bit of English in the streets lately.  It's super interesting.

[Zach's dad:  I asked why it seems that many of the people aren't married.]  The people here are not motivated to get married and are content with the way things are. It also costs a little bit of money to get married.  They also don't like to make any commitments.  I've taught couples that have been together for over 30 years but refuse to get married because they don´t want to have to be "committed."  It's sad, but it's all good.  We are working hard and are trying our best to help these people out.

Dad, you asked about turkey.  Here in Uruguay they don´t eat turkey.  I have never seen a turkey here.  I´ll try to get some chicken during Thanksgiving.  By the way, when is Thanksgiving?

I've been reflecting on my mission a lot lately and the things that I've learned. I have so much to share with Tyler and Cade before they leave on a mission and can't wait to tell them everything! As of right now, Tyler and Cade, I really hope you are reading your scriptures. I know I'm always on you guys about it, but it's super importante!  It will help you in the long run!  I know that the Book of Mormon is true and as we read it, we will come closer to Jesus Christ! I love you guys!

By the way, thanks for the information about the BYU v. Notre Dame football game. I'm feeling a little sad for BYU, but a little happy for Notre Dame!  I have mixed emotions.  Go ASU!

I'll talk to you guys next week!