Excerpts

Excerpts from Zach's letters:

Monday, September 3, 2012

All is well here in San Francisco. I´m absolutely loving it here! The members are awesome and we have some great investigators. With Elder Peña we basically speak Spanish the whole time.  He likes to practice his English, so every once in a while we´ll talk in English but mostly we talk in Spanish. I´m learning a lot with him.

Yesterday was Fast Sunday and Elder Peña and I had a really cool experience with our recent converts Flavia, Ana and Luis.  All three bore their testimonies at church and you could feel the spirit so strong as they bore it. Ana was crying at the pulpit saying how greatful she was for the gospel and the plan of salvation. I can´t remember if I told you but two weeks before the baptism of Ana and
Luis their infant granddaughter died of some heart condition. She said she can´t wait to see her after this life and that she knows she will. Flavia bore her testimony and is just solid in the church. She came to a lesson with us the other day and got along with our investigator really well. She´s going to come with us to this investigator from now on, she said.

I´m absolutely loving the mission!  It's the best experience ever! I'm learning so much about the atonement everyday and the importance of it. When I was the in the MTC, Elder Oaks came and talked to us. He talked about the importance of the sacrament. He said "In order to be a great missionary (member) you need to take the sacrament weekly and appropriately."  When he said this he expounded on how as we take the sacrament we need to be thinking of Jesus Christ and what he has done for us and how we can return the favor to him. Every week we need to try better in all that we do. When Elder Oaks said these things it really opened my eyes more about the santa cena. [Zach's Dad's translation: sacrament, communion]. Every week we need to repent and move on!

Guys, I'm having the best experience ever and I can´t wait for Tyler and Cade to experience the same thing. I´m healthy and am doing great! I think of you guys all the time. I love you guys tons! Can´t wait to hear from ya!

 
Photo 1: Us with Selva! Don´t mess with Selva.  She's awesome.



Photo 2: Me with Elder Castellanos. We had an intercambio [Zach's Dad's translation: split or exchange] the other day and I worked with him. He´s a great kid!