Excerpts

Excerpts from Zach's letters:

Friday, February 17, 2012

The week has been awesome!  My Spanish has been getting progressively better and I can see the Lord's hand in that daily. It's weird to think that I'm learning to speak and understand another language. It's been an awesome experience! Elder Hicks, my companion, is a pro with the language. He helps me out a ton and whenever I don't know how to say something he always has my back. We have an awesome companionship.

During this week I was able to watch a fireside by Elder Bednar that he gave during Christmas time to the elders here in the MTC. It was an amazing talk. He talked on the character of Christ.  He went through Matthew Chapter 4 and broke it down. It's amazing how much Christ loves us and how charitable He is.  He also told a story about how a mother lost her daughter in a car accident but was
still caring for others and asking how others were doing and not worrying about herself. It was amazing and it reminded me a lot of Brandon's accident and how awesome his mom was during that hard time. This talk really made me think of how I can be more charitable to those around me and how it's really important to not think of yourself. 

I've been reading the scriptures a ton and have been learning a lot! I found that you learn a ton if you write down a question before you read and then as you read and find answers to that question or thoughts that go with that question you write those down.  I've been doing that everyday and I've learned so much.

A funny thing has been going on here.  Apparently I've been snoring really bad at night and my roommates want to kill me. In the middle of the night last night I woke up to what I thought was an earthquake going on because my bed was shaking so violently. I rolled over to see my companion Elder Hicks shaking my bed in frustration and my other two roommates telling me to shut up from their beds!  I was mad that they woke me up at four in the morning, but today we laughed about it. Any advice for not snoring so loud?

My roommates, though, are awesome and we are getting a long great.  I can't remember if I've told you about my other two roommates. They are both going to Singapore and are really funny and sarcastic.  Elder Pratt is 19 and Elder Tillman is 22.  They are both from Arizona. They really like my ASU shirt I wear to bed.

I want you guys to know how much I love you and think about you. I miss you tons but I like that missionary saying: "A missionary is someone who leaves his family for 2 years to bring other families together for eternity!"  I know I'm supposed to be out here and I'm greatful for it. I've learned so much and I can feel my testimony getting stronger day by day.