Excerpts

Excerpts from Zach's letters:

Friday, February 10, 2012

It has been a long week but I made it!  The days are going by a lot faster now.  I get a lot of the days mixed up together. They keep us very busy.  Every minute there is something planned. We go from breakfast, to class, to lunch, to class, then to dinner, and then end with gym.  It's pretty much that everyday.  We wake up at 6:30 every morning.

Fast Sunday was really cool. We had a mission conference for 2 hours and then went to sacrament meeting right after.  My district is combined with an Italian district so it's really interesting. I can understand a little bit of what they say. The Italian district is awesome! They totally took our Spanish district under their wing. They have been here for 7 weeks so they only have 2 weeks left with us before they go to Italy.  There are 10 of them and there are 10 from my district, so a total of 20 plus
the branch presidency are in my "ward."  On fast Sunday we all shared our testimonies and all of us did it in our foreign language. It was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. The spirit was so strong and I also couldn't believe that I was able to speak enough Spanish to do so. It was an AMAZING feeling and first Sunday! I can often see the Lord's hand in my daily tasks. On Sunday we had a lot of devotionals and firesides. They also let the missionaries walk to the temple grounds and hang out and sit for an hour. It was nice to get out of the MTC for a bit, as you can imagine.  I guess we do that every Sunday so its always something to look forward to.

I'll be looking for Dallin! I've already seen Chaz Gandolph, Mike Mortensen, and Neil Gardner. It's a cool thing to see someone you know here. It brings back a little bit of home when you do. 

Thank you so much for the packages and letters! I love them! I honestly can't wait each day to see if I have a new letter.  Email sucks because you can only check once a week, but mail you can check everyday!  

Today has been an amazing day! It was my first legit P-day.  Me and my companion got up at 5 this morning to do laundry and get ready for the day. We went to the temple at the 8 a.m. session.  It was a great experience and I can't wait to do that every week. You feel so much peace and love in the temple - it's just so amazing! After that we went back to the MTC and got some lunch and then got a haircut. I got it as short as possible.

There is so much to tell you and I'm typing so fast so I hope I remember everything. My district is the coolest district around! I'm so blessed to be with these guys. We all love sports and most are really athletic. We play basketball a lot, and with Elder Barlow I go lift every other day.  I've gotten really close to my companion and to Elder Barlow. We are the 3 who were originally supposed to go to the Argentina MTC.  Elder Barlow is from Salem, Utah and went to Salem High.  He's really into football and plays at Snow College. Anyway, we are all really excited to go to Uruguay and we're counting down the days 'til we leave.

I feel the spirit so strong here everyday. I learn so much! Everyday I feel like I'm getting closer to my Heavenly Father. For some reason I keep reading 3 Nephi 17!  I love this chapter so much.  It's really cool to see how much Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father love us.  I know personally that they do and that Heavenly Father wants us to return to Him!

By the way, the Spanish is going well. It's really frustrating at times, but I feel like I'm progressing each day. It was interesting to find out right when we got here that we would be teaching lessons in Spanish from day one!  I was scared and nervous but the Lord really helped me out and blessed me. I was saying things each lesson that I really didn't know where I got it from, but it made sense to this young lady who was our fake investigator.  We taught her 6 times and we actually just found out yesterday that she will be one of our main teachers now. She'll be teaching us pretty much everyday until we leave.

Anyway, I'm doing awesome!  Everything is going well and I'm healthy!  I pray for you daily and hope everything is going well!  I miss you so much but I'll see you very soon!

P.S.  Keep sending those letters.  Donuts and Twinkies would be nice. :)  They have Moutain Dew and Dr. Pepper so I'm good with soda! It's an amazing blessing!