Excerpts

Excerpts from Zach's letters:

Monday, April 9, 2012

I´m doing great!  This week has been absolutely crazy and I don´t even know where to begin.  Monday was the longest day of my life. When I got to Uruguay (on Tuesday) we went to the mission home for two hours and then I found out I had to drive another 7 hours to get to Melo, spend the night, and then drive another hour the next day to get to Noblia.  It was the longest day ever - but it's all good.  Noblia is absolutely tiny and the people are super poor.  It's been a really humbling experience and I am super blessed to have the things I have in my life.  We live in a tiny, tiny house and have hot water for our showers but everything else is cold.  Elder Jackson is an absolute stud and has been showing me the ropes.  He works hard but he's been impressed with my attitude because I always want to work.  He's also impressed with my boldness.

Whenever we knock on houses (you clap outside their house to make them come to the door, it's super interesting) I'm always trying to talk and to communicate but half the time they laugh and look at Elder Jackson like I'm stupid - but it's all good, I'm trying.  I'm praying constantly and have learned Heavenly Father answers prayers.  He is there for us and hears us when we pray to him.  I can testify of that.  I've also learned that there is no way I can do this mission on my own.  You have to have a lot of faith in Heavenly Father.

I´m learning so much and it's been great!  Elder Jackson said I'm talking a whole lot more than most new missionaries and that I'm going to grasp the language a lot quicker because of that.  There have been no missionaries assigned to Noblia for eight years, so we basically have to start from ground zero which means knocking doors.  We have about 15 people in our branch.  It's really, really small and will take some time getting use to.  Yesterday, we confirmed a 17 year old boy (Delseo) as a member of the church.  He was baptized the week before I got there. I was able to participate in the confirmation.  It was cool!  He's a great kid and everyone is super excited because he's the only boy that is 17.  We taught him and his sister later that night and I extended an invitation to his sister (15) to be baptized and she accepted for the 28 de Abril, so we´re excited! It's been hard, tedious work thus far and many people keep rejecting us because they say they're Catholic and everything is all good. Anyway, we explain that we have the restored gospel, and many people laugh.

I'm doing awesome and having a great time!  The language is frustrating, but I know it will come - it just takes time.  Elder Jackson is totally fluent so he helps a lot.  He's also a really sharp and cool kid and is always there for me.  I can´t believe my first week is over.  It's gone by super, super fast!

There is this lady that lives next to us who is our landlord.  She has basically been a mother to us.  At night she always comes and checks on us and asks if we need anything.  We don't have a phone and she is super nice enough to let us borrow hers.  Anyway, she has kinda been like a mom to us and it's been nice to see someone who really cares about us (so don't worry Momma!).

The mail is great.  I can only email my parents and everyone else is regular mail.  The food here has been fine so far.  We've had a lot of meat sandwiches and things like that.  I'm fine and am eating!  Elder Griffin has been a huge help and I'm grateful he's my zone leader.

I love you guys tons and I'll talk to you later!

P.S.  They don´t have any peanut butter here! It's ridiculous!  Is there any way you can send me some peanut butter and some Reeses?  That would be awesome!  Also, sorry if I have a lot of errors with my typing.  I am typing really fast and the keyboards here are different.  It's super weird.

[Zach's dad: Yes, I did correct a lot of typos!  Also, Zach attached the following picture with his email.  I assume it is a picture of his house.  I like the color.  I'm sure Zach's mother wishes she could add some potted plants and flowers.]